Stella Dunn, Eloise Martucci, Kathleen Cassidy and Nancy Romine at the Valley Backpacksbooth at the 2018 Chamber Expo

ABOUT US

We are a group of local women who joined together in 2014 to supply students at Rye Elementary School with backpacks, school supplies and cold-weather clothing. We exceeded our goals.


So in 2015 we added the Rye Preschool and Craver Middle School students to our cause. We again exceeded our goals.


In 2016 we added Rye High School to the mix.

In 2017 once the students had their backpacks,school supplies and clothing vouchers, there were still funds leftover. This surplus was gifted to the elementary school, the middle school and the high school at $1,600. each. The preschool received $200.

WE ARE A NON-PROFIT

Valley Backpacks is a 501 (c) 3 and  has no paid positions. Each volunteer donates their time to this valuable cause.

Administrative expenses are only 10%. That leaves 90% of all funds received going directly to the students.

If you would like to help

contact us

HOW WE DO IT

All of this could not be done without the generous support of our benefactors,volunteers, guests, small grants and donors in Rye, Colorado City and Pueblo. We hold two events during the year.


SPRING

In the spring we host the Valley Tea. This is a high tea that takes many people to design and serve the tables, cook, pay for the food, donate the space and set up and decorate.

Then our paid guests who, in addition, are very generous at the Gifting Tree and the raffle.


SUMMER

In the summer we hold a Wine and Cheese Tasting along with a silent auction. This also takes many people. Over 80 individuals and businesses donate auction items. Others donate space, wine and food, marketing and their time as ticket sellers, to set up, take down and decorate.



The Board with a student, in October 2018, shopping at K-Mart: the reason Valley Backpacks exists.

In 2018 Rye Elementary received a $1,000 K-Mart  gift card for school supplies.  Craver Middle school got a $1,000 K-Mart gift card for school supplies, and
Rye High received a $500 K-Mart gift card for school supplies and $1,000 check for student desks.


   VALLEY BACKPACKS